Pages

Wednesday 31 July 2013

Perfect Weather - for spinning outdoors

I've been enjoying the recent lovely summer weather spinning at a couple of local events - the Ardoch Agricultural Show at Braco last Saturday (above), and the Lochearnhead Highland Games the weekend before (below). Both days I was really glad to be able to keep cool in the shade (but I do think spinning in sunglasses looks funny!)
Both are very traditional Scottish events, a really good day out and I enjoyed meeting and chatting to lots of interesting (and interested) people about spinning, dyeing, feltmaking and knitting. People came from far and wide - the top photo was taken by Nancy from San Antonio, USA.
One thing that has attracted a lot of attention is my 'library' of natural dyed handspun yarn samples


You can see that I took different spinning wheels - I like to give them all a good 'run' from time to time and spinning for six or seven hours straight is a good opportunity.
The wheels in the photos are Ashford Traditionals, both at least 35 years old. The dark coloured one (top photo and below) is one I've just acquired and reconditioned - now it is running beautifully and looking for a new home. let me know if you are interested. Hamish clearly is! I'll post details under the Equipment tab.
Here are the yarns I was spinning at the two events
from left to right: Zwartbles (a local fleece which was still running around in the field three weeks ago!)
Italian Bose wool dyed with Beetroot
Blue Texel - another local fleece
Shetland wool dyed with Kool Aid
.... I did the plying at home, it's not so interesting for people to watch.

My next outing will be to the Aberfeldy Highland Games on the 10th August, then the Strathardle Gathering on the 24th, and finally the Blairgowrie Games on September 8th. If you can get along to any of these come and say hello (and even if you can't, wish for good weather!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment