Pages

Sunday 17 March 2013

This week's spinning

I've been spinning three different yarns from the batts I posted last week
 top left: natural grey Blue Texel
top right: grey Blue texel overdyed
bottom: grey Blue Texel overdyed, plied with dyed silk

Here they are a bit closer

I'm planning to knit Kate Davies' Scatness Tunic http://bit.ly/144dv5y so the yarn needs to knit up to the same tension as Jamieson & Smith's Shetland Jumper Weight. I've used lots of their lovely yarn in other projects so I'm confident that I've got the thickness right. Although the Blue Texel fleece is not as fine as a Shetland the yarn has the bounce and grippiness needed for the stranded colourwork fair Isle style knitting. I'm going to need a large quantity of the natural grey for my main colour; so far I've spun eight skeins, three more to go. All the contrast colours will be spun from dyed fleece, mainly reds and purples, not all Blue Texel but similar in handle, some natural black Zwartbles and I'm sneaking in a bit of silk too!

1 comment:

  1. The yarn looks lovely and the pattern is great! Can't wait to see it in progress and finished.

    ReplyDelete